The CCF Golf Course History content

The CCF Golf Course History

The sleek greens, the well-mown fairways, the sand-filled bunkers and the managed rough of the golf course today have their antecedents in the golfing grounds of the 1890's.

There were no raised tees in those days, and the greens, mowed by hand, were the only part of the course that received attention. Because the greens were uneven, players often used a lofted putter called a "cleek."

About 1895 a nine-hole course was laid out entirely east of Waterville Road. Within a half dozen years it was replaced by a nine hole course designed by Arthur H. Fenn. Mr. Fenn's layout placed two greens west of Waterville Road and required a drive over the road.

In 1924 an eighteen hole course designed by Devereux Emmet was opened. Over the decades many changes have been made but the course continues to reflect much of Mr. Emmet's design. In 1957, about the time the Putting Green came into existence, the Practice Range was placed into operation. Five years later golf carts made an appearance.

The first watering system, composed of sprinklers driven by water power, slowly crawled across the fairways adding a new hazard.

In 1966 an irrigation system supplied by underground pipes came into use. More improvements continued to be made. The years 1998 and 1999 saw the rebuilding of the second and eighteenth greens, major improvements to the fourth and twelfth holes and construction on masonry bridges over the streams that cross the fairways.

Today's golfers enjoy a splendid course, which results from the unabated effort of the membership since the Club's founding in 1892.